Atlantis Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 169 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:08 am

map consolidation options

+7
Tenfor
jswizzy84
Attypwn
steveompowell
Skeetgadoo
Saranneth
eraticus
11 posters

Go down

map consolidation options Empty map consolidation options

Post  eraticus Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Our current map is getting slightly out of hand. For the most part it looks like noone has built more than 1400 blocks out or so but there are areas that have expanded over 7k blocks out. My concern with this is less a performance issue and more of an issue of travel distance to reach new content. What I would like to do is install a borderguard at around 2000 blocks out on our current map and delete everything beyond that. Then when the new update is released we can expand the border a bit so we don't have to go so far for the new stuff.

One suggestion we had was to consolidate our old builds with our new builds and set up a Core area that we save each time there is an update and if need be just cut and paste it into a whole new map. This has some good points; stability, ease of connecting new areas/transit systems. tighter sense of community. The down side is how do we decide what areas to add and how? Some of us have been having fun in the creative map and I'd hate to remove that feature.

Another suggestion is to create a Show map that has all of our best builds on display and we can use it to promote our server. Maybe invite people on to look around and see what they see.

Do you have any suggestions for how you'd like to see this accomplished? What are your concerns with these ideas?

eraticus
Admin

https://minecraftatlantis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

map consolidation options Empty Re: map consolidation options

Post  Saranneth Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:23 pm

It sounds like people forgot the " don't go too far" rule. I'm fine with moving builds closer together on the survival map.

Saranneth

Back to top Go down

Post  Skeetgadoo Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:04 pm

I'm all for this. I would just suggest reiterating to current members and incoming applicants that going 'too far' is an issue we are all dealing with, so as to keep it rare.
Skeetgadoo
Skeetgadoo

Back to top Go down

Post  steveompowell Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:54 pm

It was one of the first things I noticed when starting on the new map... there really doesn't seem to be a "community", it is very spread from what I could tell... probably part of the reason I am having such trouble picking a location to build in Wink

I'm not a fan of merging creative content with survival content, simply because it does seem to defeat the purpose to make something in creative and merge it to survival. (even if it was STARTED in survival).

- Perhaps we should do it the way we did it last time... pick a theme, create a city, and start it with everyone building in the city first and once done, pick a new local and move over (one at a time Wink ). It worked well at first until we started adding new cities too quickly... it was sad to see Tombstone so underdeveloped for such a great concept xD, yet Spawn was an amazing team build, and fun to work in watching everything grow around you.

Being as we have multiple worlds now (testing, creative and survival) it may be worth looking into a new way of working it, - I will resuggest an older idea of mine now that it seems to be so... much like the older ideas.

Perhaps... and bare with me...

Creative is left as is, we can go on, be creative, build our amazing, and individual/group projects there. Expand on what we have done, keep it as a show and tell, as well as a constant thing to work on.

Test realm is a great idea for all sorts of reasons, keep it, but might be worth resetting it frequently to keep it a test realm and to keep content in there low for new tests etc.

Survival - a world which is reset every so many weeks, with the goal of establishing a "spawn" city of a different theme each time, no spawns no nada, so each time around its that real survival feel with everyone working like hell to build a secure city, as quickly as possible (to whatever theme is picked / voted on).
(Nether in survival should also be reset at same time for obvious reasons)

Being as we have a creative world, there's no reason those who want to spend half a year on one project 2000 miles away from civilization for show and tell at a slow pace can't do it in that world, and survival map is for that community project pull together and don't get eaten feel.

Just a thought from the mind of a returning Steve ^^
steveompowell
steveompowell

Back to top Go down

Post  steveompowell Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Oh oh, and I expect at LEAST 5 "founders" roll their eyes that I suggested this again. lmao
steveompowell
steveompowell

Back to top Go down

Post  Attypwn Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:05 am

Im good with whatever we decide, as long as I have a map that isnt creative.

I enjoy collecting materials and building. I dont mind seeing my builds getting wiped (obviously not a popular idea but my builds suck, so erasing them means less to me).

While mods can make 'survival' easier, I think I enjoy the benefits of having them over the loss of difficulty.

./rolls his eyes at Steve... just because. ;D
Attypwn
Attypwn

Back to top Go down

Post  eraticus Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:21 am

Just a note on the community feel. Did you miss the spawn town? Almost everyone is building in that area and most of the few who aren't are within 200 blocks of it. So the actual builds are not that spread out. The only reason spawn is so far from the spawn town is that's where we all spawned when we started this map vanilla style and couldn't change the spawn point.

eraticus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Saranneth Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:11 am

Ah, Steve. At least you know I'm rolling my eyes at you. Very Happy
No regular map wiping will be going on. It takes away the incentive to build anything at all if it's just going to be wiped in the future. I do have some ideas for a map that could be regularly reset and I'll make a separate post about it.

Saranneth

Back to top Go down

Post  jswizzy84 Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:15 am

Here are my troughs in no order.

I don't see a problem with taking something that was made on survival and porting it into creative. Although bringing something from creative into survival is a grey area.
I don't want to have to rebuild the same farm/warehouse/grinder/ect every couple of weeks.
I love community builds and towns but I don't want to be forced into them.
I enjoy both creative and survival but I really don't want to do big projects in survival that require lots of materials or time.
I want better terrain for creative.

I can do all the grunt work in mcedit and with worldedit and voxelsniper when it comes to moving buildings and blending them. I've already done a few maps were I've built everything on flat grass and then imported them into a real map and blended them seamlessly into the landscape. I've pretty much reached the point where I want to start bigger and better projects that just aren't possible or feasible in survival mode although I still want to play survival as well but mostly just to set up farms, machines, adventuring, exploring, ect and not huge building projects. Most of the fun I've been having in minecraft has been making machines in the test world and messing around with voxelsniper on a local server I setup just so I could run it. Spending an entire day collecting wool and dye is not something I really care for. Half the time I'm building prototypes of everything in creative mode anyways.

Before
map consolidation options 0zBwol
After importing and blending and creating custom terrain
map consolidation options 4bMx5l

Ps. Stop using /set time it bugs the meta data for blocks and breaks redstone torches. I can't tell you how many times already I was working on some machine and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working only to find out that the torches were bugged because someone changed the time to day. If you use set time you have to reset the server to fix all the bugs it creates.
jswizzy84
jswizzy84

Back to top Go down

Post  eraticus Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:30 am

i dont see a problem with an additional world that is wiped regularly if enough people want it. not sure if it can have its own nether. might require another mod.

eraticus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Saranneth Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Sorry, Swizzy - that would be me. And I broke my clock doing it so I'm extra sorry. I didn't know about that bug and I make it day pretty much every night.
I'll be good now Smile

If we're talking about condensing the creative map I have some objections. I'm generally against moving my city in creative mode, for several reasons. One, as much as I love the new terrain and wished I had some part of it near by I chose my spot for a reason. I liked the terrain it's on , spent countless hours transforming it to perfection and I had no one within eye shot of me. I also am no where near done with it and would like to keep as much room for expansion as possible.
That being said, I would be ok if it were really necessary with moving it to new terrain if it really could be seamlessly integrated and I still had plenty of room around me. I certainly would enjoy some rivers.
Remember, I'm a selfish land-grabber and a cranky old lady who doesn't want neighbors. Sorry Smile
In terms of a map to be regularly reset I think it would be fun to model it after hard core mode - if you die, you lose access to that map! When all the players have gone the map gets reset. Another idea I thought would be interesting is survival pvp so...safety zone at spawn, go out and build your fort and either wait for someone to come and try and get you or go hunting for your friends. Both would allow a neat community build to start for fun. Could even have a leader boards type thing with either of those ideas just for fun.
Imo, you have to have a reason to reset a map other than just wanting new terrain or a new community build and a last man standing type game would provide that.

Saranneth

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenfor Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:11 pm

eraticus wrote:What I would like to do is install a borderguard at around 2000 blocks out on our current map and delete everything beyond that. Then when the new update is released we can expand the border a bit so we don't have to go so far for the new stuff.
I like this idea.

steve wrote:Survival - a world which is reset every so many weeks, with the goal of establishing a "spawn" city of a different theme each time, no spawns no nada, so each time around its that real survival feel with everyone working like hell to build a secure city, as quickly as possible (to whatever theme is picked / voted on).
I would not be a fan of this for our main survival map. One of my favorite things to do is watch our progress as the map fills up over time.

Saranneth wrote: In terms of a map to be regularly reset I think it would be fun to model it after hard core mode - if you die, you lose access to that map! When all the players have gone the map gets reset. Another idea I thought would be interesting is survival pvp so...safety zone at spawn, go out and build your fort and either wait for someone to come and try and get you or go hunting for your friends. Both would allow a neat community build to start for fun. Could even have a leader boards type thing with either of those ideas just for fun.
These ideas sound interesting.
Tenfor
Tenfor

Back to top Go down

Post  steveompowell Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:18 pm

I do like the last man standing idea!
steveompowell
steveompowell

Back to top Go down

Post  Saranneth Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:44 pm

I knew you would, Steve! It's really up to Era and Prait to implement, though. I'm just here for the cookies. cat

Saranneth

Back to top Go down

Post  Praitaq Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:19 am

Ok, Just an FYI, WE have a bit of time to discuss this as 1.9 will not go into full release per notch's blog. They will only be doing pre-releases of Minecraft up until MineCon and Bukkit said they will not release an RB for those.

That being said, lets try and flesh out how we want the server to be for that as I think with all of the changes still being made including the reintroduction of snow biomes, we may want to do one last reset on the main survival map for the Final Release.

We can leave the 1.7 creative map as is, and the admins can blend in terrain like we have in the past if necessary.

I kind of like Sara's idea of a pvp map/area which is like hardcore mode. We could even turn it into a team sport kinda thing :p

Anyway I have a few Ideas im brewing up and will post them once i get them fleshed out.

Praitaq
Praitaq
Praitaq

Back to top Go down

Post  Woojitsu Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:14 am

I also like the last man standing idea. In order to work properly, especially with leaderboards, there might have to be some additional requirements. For example, anyone going a certain amount of time without entering said map (24 hrs., 48?) would lose access as if they had been killed. Either that, or find a mod that keeps track of exactly how much time each person has spent on the map and records that on the leaderboard.

Since this thread is about consolidating the current maps, we may want to move discussion of hardcore mode to a new thread.

Woojitsu

Back to top Go down

Post  jswizzy84 Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:44 am

Woojitsu wrote:I also like the last man standing idea. In order to work properly, especially with leaderboards, there might have to be some additional requirements. For example, anyone going a certain amount of time without entering said map (24 hrs., 48?) would lose access as if they had been killed. Either that, or find a mod that keeps track of exactly how much time each person has spent on the map and records that on the leaderboard.

Since this thread is about consolidating the current maps, we may want to move discussion of hardcore mode to a new thread.

You could have a goal. Like in adventure maps. Like make x farm, find x items, ect. Kinda like skyblock survival. That way you have an incentive to spend more time on the map.
jswizzy84
jswizzy84

Back to top Go down

Post  koralako Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:03 am

I like the idea of it being a team sport.

koralako

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldenShadowGS Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:41 pm

What about a resettable map which is team vs team. See if a mod exists which can support 2 default spawns. One for Team A and one for Team B. As each new person joins, they will be auto assigned to a team with the lowest player count and be permanently assigned unless an admin changes them.

The enemy spawn position will be unknown from the opponents. (but within reasonable distance) Your goal is to create leadership and the leader to assign roles to the players. Miner, builder, soldier, farmer, scout. You build a Fortress and create defenses using any and all means that minecraft makes available. dispensor traps, lava falls, tnt landmines, etc.

The game could be based on score, and have a game time can be set by admins from a few hours to a few days. The winner is decided based on score, which team has killed more of the enemy players wins.

Or it could be a capture the flag type mode.

Or perhaps something more original. Each team has to find and enter an Ender Portal to The End. First team to accomplish this wins. Think of the possibilities. You could help your team by raiding the enemy camp and stealing supplies instead of mining for them.
The only thing thats off limits would be team killing.

I suggest this thread for some ideas.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/77810-the-art-of-war-check-current-topic-list/

GoldenShadowGS

Back to top Go down

Post  Woojitsu Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:38 am

This is starting to sound a lot like Vech's Race for the Wool. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Woojitsu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down