Atlantis Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donate
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 169 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:08 am

Thoughts on 1.8

+9
Attypwn
opedog
Saranneth
Woojitsu
Tenfor
steveompowell
Xacktar
Locke562
Praitaq
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should we Reset the server come 1.8?

Thoughts on 1.8 Vote_lcap67%Thoughts on 1.8 Vote_rcap 67% 
[ 8 ]
Thoughts on 1.8 Vote_lcap17%Thoughts on 1.8 Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 2 ]
Thoughts on 1.8 Vote_lcap16%Thoughts on 1.8 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 12

Thoughts on 1.8 Empty Thoughts on 1.8

Post  Praitaq Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:45 pm

I know we haven't hit 1.7(SQUEE when it does happen), but I want to try and get a jump on things for 1.8.

From what I've been reading 1.8 is going to add some major changes to not only the world but game play itself. Included in which will be NPC towns, incentives for exploration and an upgraded combat system. That being said, our current map is already massive and finding areas to generate the new content in will mean the map needs to be extended further. Now as much as it pains me to say this after all the hard work everyone has been putting in, I'm thinking that it might be advantageous for us to start with a new map come 1.8, and at the same time run the existing map as a separate world so people who still want to build there can and those who want to experience the new content can start fresh punching trees in the new world.

I personally would love to see us get back to where we were when we started the existing map, all working together to survive, building spawn, and finally expanding out from there again.

So I guess what I'm asking for is ideas and opinions that I can bring up with our illustrious leaders on wether or not we should reset, if we should just save this world and not keep it live(and maybe make it available for d-load for the members?), just use what we got and expand out. Or anything else that could happen.

Let get this ball rolling so we'll be ready come 1.8 Very Happy

Praitaq
Praitaq
Praitaq

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on 1.8 Empty Re: Thoughts on 1.8

Post  Locke562 Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:55 pm

We were already talking about this in game, but we agreed that our current road system is perfect and if we do end up starting over we should keep the same north/south/east/west road system we currently have. What does everyone else think?

Locke562

Back to top Go down

Post  Xacktar Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:02 pm

As much as I love the server as it is, 1.8 sounds like its going to change a LOT of things, so I think a reset would be acceptable.

*looks to see if anyone is looking.*

*Hugs his super-house and wipes moisture from his eyes*
Xacktar
Xacktar

Back to top Go down

Post  steveompowell Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:00 pm

NOW everyone jumps onboard! Well I think everyone knows my opinion on this, and I can gladly say they havn't changed! Full reset ahead, adventure and new spawncity theme engaged! xD

- I think the best way of doing it would be making old map downloadable for single player use, and keeping multiplayer the new map to entice everyone to participate on the epicness epic. But that's my opinion and im sure alot of people would disagree Wink
steveompowell
steveompowell

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenfor Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:19 pm

steveompowell wrote:
- I think the best way of doing it would be making old map downloadable for single player use, and keeping multiplayer the new map to entice everyone to participate on the epicness epic. But that's my opinion and im sure alot of people would disagree Wink

agree pirat
Tenfor
Tenfor

Back to top Go down

Post  Praitaq Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks for the quick replies, Ill try and get with era tonight to see what his thoughts are about the situation.

So anymore ideas? Thoughts about a theme for spawn if we reset? any building ideas for it?

Very Happy

Praitaq
Praitaq
Praitaq

Back to top Go down

Post  steveompowell Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:54 pm

thats an easy one, one I havn't seen us do yet. -

Log cabin / Frontier!!! (YES Frontier is different from Wild West *backhand*)

Think Davi Crockett; log cabins; a time when black people were 100% stereotypicaly portrayed; where finding a dead guy was an exiting experience for a 10 year old, and not something that would traumatize 'em for life; Where being sober was NOT socially acceptable.

- Short of that, the tree house village was alot of fun, and if done with a tad more coordination / rules (a uniform interconnecting pathway for instance) could also be an amazing spawn setup. I would gladly play with that getup again! xD

** Excited at the idea of building a new "HQ" from scratch. Never feels as good as the first time on a new game Wink **
steveompowell
steveompowell

Back to top Go down

Post  Woojitsu Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:47 am

I am also in favor of a reset whenever a patch causes massive changes to map generation. However, I would like some way to continue building on the current map. I have a massive redstone experiment underway that will definitely not reach its conclusion by the time 1.8 comes out (especially since I've been spending all my time in sphere world). It would really, REALLY suck to have to start over from scratch on that.

Woojitsu

Back to top Go down

Post  Praitaq Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:49 am

yea one of the ideas is to run our current map in parallel if we can with what we have now. I need ot get with era and ope about it to be sure.
Praitaq
Praitaq

Back to top Go down

Post  Saranneth Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:23 am

I'd be ok with running a parallel world or allowing DL of our current map. Without actually needing a reset to run the new patch I'm not in for wiping just to wipe. We have many other options Smile

Saranneth

Back to top Go down

Post  opedog Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:24 am

Praitaq wrote:yea one of the ideas is to run our current map in parallel if we can with what we have now. I need ot get with era and ope about it to be sure.

This is the only option as far as I'm concerned. I was never a fan of full map resets as it just got rid of all the work everyone put in to a map. Sarah and I have a hard time compartmentalizing our builds and the game itself. What we build we want to stay forever. Smile
opedog
opedog

Back to top Go down

Post  opedog Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:28 am

Praitaq wrote:Included in which will be NPC towns, incentives for exploration and an upgraded combat system.

I haven't heard of NPC towns going into 1.8. Can you cite this? The other "adventure" type changes seem to also be more for RPGish type gameplay, so I also don't really think they apply to a map reset.

Throw away the adventure stuff and all we're left with to justify a map reset is small terrain generation changes. Worth it?
opedog
opedog

Back to top Go down

Post  Attypwn Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:34 am

NPC town cited LINX -http://notch.tumblr.com/

His latest post. Man Im so excited.

EDIT: Might as well post my input as long as Im here. I dont care what we do. I feel it would be an appropriate length of time for a reset. Another question though, would we also reset Sphere world? It seems like itd just get loaded up as normal since its a separate map. It could be another two weeks to a month before he has 1.8 ready to go too (my guess), so its not like this would be happening tomorrow.
Attypwn
Attypwn

Back to top Go down

Post  opedog Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:38 am

Ah. Knowing notch, I wouldn't consider anything he's marked as "to come" as definitely going to be in.
opedog
opedog

Back to top Go down

Post  Attypwn Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:42 am

Thats definitely true, Ope. I guess I took the post as 'this is what I have done for 1.8 already, and this is whats to come before we post 1.8'
Attypwn
Attypwn

Back to top Go down

Post  OAAN Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:43 am

I'm new and therefor would prefer a revamp of the server.

And for the theme of the spawn I have two ideas (kinda):

1: Bridgetown
Link1
Link2

2: Has no real visual theme. I just like the idea of the place feeling very organic and having lots of narrow alleys and buildings that's been added to as time goes. Kind of random feeling but cosy.
OAAN
OAAN

Back to top Go down

Post  eraticus Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:41 am

Short of broken a broken map I don't see any reason to purge everyone's hard work. If we're talking about seeing new content all you have to do is expand to sections of the map that haven't been explored yet. There is LOTS of space left for that and we can use our usual methods to get to it. There are even fairly large unexplored sections of map close to us now. At best assuming the world survives intact I would be willing to open an alt world much like sphere world that we can go to for new content. I have been considering a couple of mods that would make this easier/more fun already. Sphere world should be no more likely to break than the original world. That being said it's all a waiting game to see what happens at release.

eraticus
Admin

https://minecraftatlantis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Woojitsu Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:06 pm

Weren't we already talking about running a second world in parallel for Steve's "reset every X weeks" idea? Or did I just imagine that? Regardless, it seems to me that we now have more reasons to handle it that way. We can have a "permanent builds" map (the current one) that doesn't get reset unless it completely breaks (in which case, we can hopefully look into saving as many of the builds as possible for transfer to a new map) and a "new content" map that gets reset every X weeks like Steve's original idea or just at every major patch. Can mods be map-specific? If so, this would also be a neat way to try out some things that we might be hesitant to introduce on the main map.

Woojitsu

Back to top Go down

Post  bob2351723 Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm all for an alternate world. Run 1.8 in parallel with the current world,spheres, and reset x week world.

I would also like to see /warp for world travel be done away with and instead have to actually use portals to travel between worlds. It would create natural gathering / town spots. Does each world use the same nether? having to travel through the nether to get to a different world might be a fun angle to play with.

I also think that "adventure world" should not be added to the dynamic map. There are provisions for an in game map now. I think having to explore and trade maps would fit the theme of adventure world nicely.

Looking forward, the "game" comes out in November. I would love to stay with this group and see a completely fresh start at that time.

Bob
bob2351723
bob2351723

Back to top Go down

Post  steveompowell Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:47 pm

bob2351723 wrote:
I would also like to see /warp for world travel be done away with and instead have to actually use portals to travel between worlds. It would create natural gathering / town spots. Does each world use the same nether? having to travel through the nether to get to a different world might be a fun angle to play with.

Must agree with bob on removal of /warp commands for cross map travel (if it can be done (heck we all know my feelings on any /warp command in general)). Will deff make the game a tad more interesting causing far more natural "central hubs" or "cities" to form due to ease of travel.
... however we also know that erat will gladly just disable the /warp of each of us who want it this way... so I think we can scrap this idea sadly Wink

SO, now we have officially reopened my old thread, I will sum the next 100 posts up into the resulting outcome! Very Happy

- Changing commands such as warps etc is simply not going to happen on a global scale, some people love it way too much and don't want to go to the trouble of using rail systems / walkways. (takes too long I guess?)

- A good amount of the community likes the old map, and will feel alienated if it was reset... lets face it, the Romans were pissed when Rome was destroyed aswell!

- If we were to create another map in the background it would simply divide the server usage even more (between 4 maps ... 5 if another nether was introduced for the resets) which if I am correct (and I may not be) could deff cause some CPU / performance issues for the server.

- With even more maps across the server, even fewer people / creations would be seen per map. Will kind of kill the already diminished feel of Multiplayer short of *hey, come look at my creation!*

- Setting up a weekly / bi weekly/ monthly / bi monthly / whatever reset will ALWAYS be too fast for someone, making it hard to setup a frequent reset on any map.

- If ya want the feeling of starting fresh, go out in the middle of nowhere with no mats / tools and start fresh. Entrust anyone who enters said newformed city does not bring anything from the "outside world".

** Obviously I am not saying don't discuss this issue, I am simply putting it put there that this topic (which we have diverted to off-topic) has already been done, and finished. On the ORIGINAL topic note, I am sure a reset will happen if the map breaks during whatever patch, until that moment, I am 100% sure that it will never happen!
Sad

... however, reset gets my vote for all the original reasons I posted.
cheers
steveompowell
steveompowell

Back to top Go down

Post  Attypwn Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:48 pm

Perfect solution:

100% wipe, and we keep warps. Then everyone can hate it.

Joke solution is joke.
Attypwn
Attypwn

Back to top Go down

Post  eraticus Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:46 pm

[quote="steveompowell"]
bob2351723 wrote:

There is one warp to sphere world. I have been looking at a mod to allow us different means of getting there but 1 warp 1 portal is the same thing. In fact the reason for one warp to sphere world was there was no other way to get there and ensure everyone came to the same location. I haven't felt any great sense of urgency to install another mod with the update so near but it is coming. Honestly, I'd prefer one of the mods that allows carts to go thru the portals.

Must agree with bob on removal of /warp commands for cross map travel (if it can be done (heck we all know my feelings on any /warp command in general)). Will deff make the game a tad more interesting causing far more natural "central hubs" or "cities" to form due to ease of travel.
... however we also know that erat will gladly just disable the /warp of each of us who want it this way... so I think we can scrap this idea sadly Wink

Somehow you construed that comment in the last discussion as a personal attack. I tell you what, I'll leave the warp issue up to the majority. If most people want it gone it goes.

- A good amount of the community likes the old map, and will feel alienated if it was reset... lets face it, the Romans were pissed when Rome was destroyed as well!

agreed.

-
If we were to create another map in the background it would simply divide the server usage even more (between 4 maps ... 5 if another nether was introduced for the resets) which if I am correct (and I may not be) could deff cause some CPU / performance issues for the server.

One nether per server. If we run the current map it will work just like sphere world, an alternate map with some means to get there.

-
With even more maps across the server, even fewer people / creations would be seen per map. Will kind of kill the already diminished feel of Multiplayer short of *hey, come look at my creation!*

Maybe, maybe not. A lot of people like a chance to work on something new, a lot of people like to build off by themselves and use the MP for the social aspect. Nothing we do will really change the way people play the game.

- Setting up a weekly / bi weekly/ monthly / bi monthly / whatever reset will ALWAYS be too fast for someone, making it hard to setup a frequent reset on any map.

Right, I'm against ever setting up a scheduled wipe/restart. I can't even see the logic in wanting to do so. You have an infinite world (more or less) to play with why destroy what you and everyone else worked so hard to make. The sense of camaraderie of initial spawn is the same one we get whenever we get a new build plan/site. I've seen it happen each time we set up community builds.

- If ya want the feeling of starting fresh, go out in the middle of nowhere with no mats / tools and start fresh. Entrust anyone who enters said newformed city does not bring anything from the "outside world".

An option here would be to install a per world inventory. If you guys would like we can install that so that only mats farmed in the world you are in can be used in that world. There may even be one that can be set up to work in regions this way. I'm pretty sure there is but I'd have to look into it again.

** Obviously I am not saying don't discuss this issue, I am simply putting it put there that this topic (which we have diverted to off-topic) has already been done, and finished. On the ORIGINAL topic note, I am sure a reset will happen if the map breaks during whatever patch, until that moment, I am 100% sure that it will never happen!
Sad

Correct.

eraticus
Admin

https://minecraftatlantis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  steveompowell Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:00 pm

steveompowell wrote:

eraticus wrote:

Somehow you construed that comment in the last discussion as a personal attack. I tell you what, I'll leave the warp issue up to the majority. If most people want it gone it goes.

LOL, hardly a "personal attack", simply busting your chops and having a laugh, especially as this same topic has come around again. Rolling Eyes v v

eraticus wrote:
I could always remove your ability to warp. I know a lot of people like the warps and TPs. It's one of the first things people asked for.

** Edited to fix quotes / unquotes 0_o
steveompowell
steveompowell

Back to top Go down

Post  Woojitsu Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:39 pm

I appear not to have been sufficiently clear in my last post. Sometimes I forget that you guys aren't privy to my thoughts and write things that make sense only to myself. I wasn't trying to revive Steve's old discussion (I don't enjoy beating dead horses). I was, instead, using that as an example of a time that I thought we had already considered having a second map that works on a different set of rules from the main one. My actual suggestion was that, rather than making a map specifically for the 1.8 update, it should be a map to test out all updates that can't easily be seen from the main world and perhaps some mods as well if that is possible. Since this sort of testing would involve somewhat frequent wipes (for the test map ONLY), I thought that it might work the way Steve wanted, but that was more of a side effect to my train of thought than my intention (sorry, Steve).

Woojitsu

Back to top Go down

Post  Tenfor Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm

What if ?

-when 1.8 comes out we have a map reset.
-anybody can have a copy of the current map
-we choose a handful of creations to copy and paste into the new map
-anyone working on a project can have that project copy and pasted into the new map
-only have /spawn and maybe /home. Riding the rails doesn't take long and our railway system rocks.
-keep only one warp to sphere world or maybe a single portal

afro
Tenfor
Tenfor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum