Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 19 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:44 am

My idea to keep this server fresh!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would you be interested in trying Steve's idea?

27% 27% 
[ 4 ]
33% 33% 
[ 5 ]
7% 7% 
[ 1 ]
33% 33% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 15

Re: My idea to keep this server fresh!

Post  Locke562 on Thu May 12, 2011 10:37 pm

I'm honestly leaning more toward the idea of starting over in a new city with borders. It would preserve all of our hard earned resources and give us a better sense of community because we would all be in the same place working usually for a common goal. Would we set spawn in this new city?

Locke562

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CptJerwin on Fri May 13, 2011 9:52 am

I would be down for the new city in a somewhat far away land, there we could build each section as a different theme and maybe the middle part as somewhere anything can be built. I just dont know where to start it nor if anyone else would be interested. I would devote my cobble towards a wall for said city and help with anything else inside it. Only problem is that after 4pm today you wont see much of me until Monday day, or late nights this weekend. I used to know a nice lady, her name was weekend. We broke up a few years back and I have been with a new love called working doubles. It is a love/hate relationship but I do love the money. =P

CptJerwin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpiralShot on Fri May 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Do we currently have anything set up that archives the map, and that would allow us to download it if there is a problem, or just to be able to save something we built? I would like to see something like that in place and working before any messing with resets. Beyond anything we decide to do in order to keep things fresh and fun, I would sure like to be able to keep a copy of stuff I have made. That probably deserves its own topic though.

My feelings on resets have been mixed, but I think after reading the ideas presented here I know that I would be most comfortable with not resetting, but starting new build areas that each have unique constraints or rules, and keeping old areas intact.

First, we know that we won't be able to make everyone happy all the time. Each of us builds at a different pace... some of us build solo, others have family working together. Some people explore first, then build. Some gather resources and then build, or start building immediately. I think this makes any type of scheduling hard.

Second, I think most of us *do* enjoy the fresh start excitement that comes with a reset, but I know that I personally also get bummed thinking about the stuff that is lost as well. Also resets will affect players ability to move on to the next project differently. For example: I play & build mostly solo, and it can take me a while to gather up the resources I need to even start to think about building cool stuff. A couple that plays together will not have as much trouble getting re-established as they have twice the manpower to get started with. I also really like the thought of being able to hang on to my diamond tools between sites if I choose to. Nothing is stopping me from walking over to the Ewok village with an empty inventory and starting fresh.

Third, the abandoned cities do not bother me, or maybe more accurately, they bother me less than just wiping them away. I would also like areas to always be busy and bustling, but considering the size of the server, and the level of control we want maintained - I don't know that M.A. is ready for the number of people (and financial cost) it would take to make that happen. Also, I like being able to check out other people's stuff when I am not feeling like digging/building. That would be lost with resets.

At first glance I liked the thought of the regular reset. But thinking about it more, and reading the posts here has changed my opinion. I think that you can accomplish the same effect and feel with other, less final options. To me, the best solution is the themed areas, and choosing to start over at each one. What that option does not offer, that a reset does - is forcing everyone to participate at the new location. I think that can be mitigated to some extent by promoting the new site, only starting new sites when things begin to slow down, and setting a grand opening date to start building there, and maybe some events around that (like a plot claiming event or something). Perhaps throwing a build schedule on the calendar could help get people coordinated on when it would be good to hang out/build in new areas. i.e. this week is "ewok" week, and in two weeks will be "thunderdome" week.
What it does offer, is that anyone who does not like the new area or theme is not just out of luck. They can still work with any of the previous locations or stick with finishing up some other personal project. I think we can put some good ideas to work with the areas that will make them truly fun to participate in.

A few ideas for area rules or challenges that occurred to me are:

1) every structure in the area must be attached to the same single base/foundation in some way. (like a city on a pedestal or something)
2) you can only use resources found inside the city limits
3) there can be only one mine that everyone has to share
4) each building must be stacked vertically
5) entire city must be deep underground
6) like with the spaceship site - everything has to fit inside a pre-defined space
7) apartment building - every player gets a room to pimp out
Cool linear city - every structure/room in the city must connect in a straight line that can be traversed from one end to the other without stopping

any of those would make for some fun ideas in a new area. Mix and match with themes for extra fun. What it will take is us agreeing on any "rules" for an area and honoring them. If we set up a start from scratch area, I shouldn't be humping in with my diamond axe, armor and a inventory full of iron, coal and glass. If those that would like resets can stomach keeping old empty areas, it is only proper that others return the courtesy.

Also, a lot of this could just come down to timing. In my case, we finished the core Atlantis area and were spreading out a bit to make houses. About that time we started the western town and I missed that because I was still working on my temple ruins site. western town went up pretty fast, and I didn't really feel like building there afterwards because everyone had kind of dispersed to do other personal stuff. This would have been a good time to start a new site, i think. We all appear to have wandered out into the wilderness and started some new personal projects (I know I did... made a new cliffside loft, connected two oceans, made a nether route between my houses, messed with a skele spawner, etc.) We just recently got the tree city going, and I feel like I almost totally missed that too, even though it hasn't been that long. I just started on a tree last night, but it looks like several people are already finished and back to other things. I haven't been able to play much this past week, and I know others have been tied up as well. I hate missing out on the initial fun, but I don't really know what could be done about that, other than more of a heads-up on when it will happen.

Ok, enough long winded blathering from me for now. I have to work out the logistics for my party tree. Maybe more later. Smile

SpiralShot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eraticus on Fri May 13, 2011 2:55 pm

You bring some good points up spiral. I think what it really comes down to is scheduling. When the server first came up almost everyone was on at the same time. Now that we're established and people are back on a more normal schedule it becomes harder to work together. I created the member run events section just for things like the community builds. I actually just remembered last night that we never concluded the subway contest Embarassed I think if we decided to make new build sites scheduled by either 1. a regular start date (1st of the month or 1st saturday etc) or 2. post the location and details in the member run section then agree on a start date from there. We would see more group participation. I think almost everyone here actually likes to get a group build going to some extent.

eraticus
Admin

View user profile http://minecraftatlantis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ItsBagels on Fri May 13, 2011 5:01 pm

yea more events would be nice, since i missed the easter one. I was also thinking about some prizes, i know chain mail armor was brought up, but how about some grass blocks to put grass underground?

ItsBagels

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Woojitsu on Sat May 14, 2011 11:53 am

I agree that a longer heads-up before starting a community build would be nice. I often don't participate in these events except to donate resources because it takes me a long time to come up with build ideas. By the time I know what I want to build, the community has moved on to something else.

Woojitsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steveompowell on Sat May 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Ultimately the one problem which Spiral did briefly mention, that bugs people like myself about no resets, but just picking new builds, is people WILL bring in outside resources, diamond / iron tools, etc to do said builds, and that does kill alot of the initial fun. Sure I may be happy to hunker down in my mud shack for the first night with creepers smiling at me through my open hole of a window, but joe shmow next to me has already build a 13 story skyscraper, complete with cobble generator, crafting rooms, tree farms, and brothel - it kills the mood for people who enjoy the... survival mode.. Wink

Im not saying everyone will, im not saying many will, im simply saying there are people who will, some discretely, some like joe shmow who will be pimping their latest diamond armor and tool sets... while building their brothel out of pure gold and Steves' broken dreams.

However, if enough people can man up and play survival in a new city with set rules, I will be happy with that.

(I vote for immediate kicking from server of Joe Shmow when he appears doing said action in said zone with said rules btw! Lets keep penalties harsh, and we may not see it happen! Twisted Evil )

Oh and btw Joe Shmow is not code for anyone in particular, I am using this name in future reference for the sod who pulls a "Joe Shmow" Wink

steveompowell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldenShadowGS on Sat May 14, 2011 11:28 pm

With the new addition of in-game maps. Getting lost in thw wilderness should be a thing of the past. Minecraft single player is way more scary when you take too long exploring and get caught by a creeper ambush, then you have to figure out how to get home to dump your loot. With teleporting commands, and even /spawn. It takes away all of the challenge and enjoyment from the game. I abuse the hell out of /home. I roam into deep vast caves mining tons of ores then use /home to get back easily without the scary journey of finding your way out.

Theres a lot of ideas in minecraft that don't get used very often in SMP because of the warp and spawn and home commands. Minecart tracks being the main one. Yea, we have a subway, but its a tourist attraction, and not really needed or used in the day to day playing.

The last server I was on didn't have any warp commands and it was really fun. We built tall towers to signal which direction to go, and the next tower doesn't appear on the horizon until you get close to the first one. Eventually, those signal towers can turn into paths, or roads, or eventually railroads.

As for people using stockpiled items for building. I don't see the problem. If you want to pretend like you are starting from scratch, thats fine. But you can't expect everyone to do so. And if they do, it probably won't be at the same time.

GoldenShadowGS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steveompowell on Sun May 15, 2011 9:16 am

Although our Dynamap also makes getting lost in the wilderness a thing of the past! Wink

100% agree though, would be nice not have all the warp commands, would keep everyone alot closer OR cause highways / railroads to be formed to people / towns n cities far away (or even solo builds).

Would deff help with the realism and keep the games difficulty at its already relatively easy setting without making it the "duhhh" difficulty setting that warp commands have sadly got us into! Wink

*** I would say on the note of dynamap, that alone makes warps etc almost not needed, it already makes the game at least half as difficult as solo player.
steveompowell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eraticus on Sun May 15, 2011 12:19 pm

I could always remove your ability to warp. I know a lot of people like the warps and TPs. It's one of the first things people asked for.

eraticus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  steveompowell on Sun May 15, 2011 7:14 pm

ahh... yes... my ability to warp affects everyone elses use of mass transit and staying near one another... lol. Fair enough, well simply saying I agree, but I will retract my claims to agreeal.. ness to appease the masses.

Warps ftw!! ... see I can be sarcastic to! lol Rolling Eyes
steveompowell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eraticus on Sun May 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Actually I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I'm gathering from your post that you'd like a more hardcore vanilla experience. As far as I know the majority of the people here are happy with the limited warp and tp's we have. If it would give you a greater sense of accomplishment not to use them I'd be more than happy to help you with that.

If I'm wrong and there are more people who would rather not have Tp or warp let me know. We can discuss removing them if a majority would rather not have them.

eraticus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitney87 on Fri May 20, 2011 12:17 am

yeah I have to vote against steve with this one I like warps they have saved my ass many times. plus steve makes some things too complicated *cough vault cough* any who I would like the tps and warps to stay plz. thank you
whitney87

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum